Monday, September 20, 2010

The Tao of Jim Rockford

"The Rockford Files: Quickie Nirvana (#4.7)" (1977)

Jane Patten: Poor little animal - gave his life to make this.
[she bites into her burger]
Jim Rockford: You know, I've just about had it with you!
Jane Patten: What's the matter?
Jim Rockford: I'm tired of your philosophising and moralizing and whining...
Jane Patten: Whining?
Jim Rockford: Yeah, you want to give a sermon about a hamburger and you've got the gall enough to eat it!
Jane Patten: Ordinarily I wouldn't touch meat, but I'm hungry. And even Bhagavad Gita says...

Jim Rockford: Oh stow it, okay! You know if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place! Your flakey attitude! You hand me problems at every turn. You can't even remember anything, now I'm buying you your meals. What can you do, lady?
Jane Patten: My consciousness doesn't lend itself to problem solving like yours, okay! I'm into an alternative lifestyle. I'm a seeker after truth. Now what's so wrong with that?
Jim Rockford: You're alternative lifestyle comes out of somebody else's pocket. You mooch, you borrow, you hardly work, but it doesn't go along with it there. They're facists, unmellow, competitive; all that love and freedom is just another way of saying me first!
Jane Patten: It is not!
Jim Rockford: Yes it is! You just don't have a sense of responsibility, that's all there is to it!
Jane Patten: What I mean is I'm not into a structured living or accumulated things. I'm into my consciousness!
Jim Rockford: Consciousness! You're practically unconscious 24 hours a day! What you're into is having someone else do you're thinking for you. There's Gordon Borchet, Baa Baa the Bhagavad Gita. Next it's going to be Sam Levinson or Francis the Talking Mule for all I know. Thay have all the answers, right. Don't you have any answers of your own?
Jane Patten: Those are pathways to bliss...
Jim Rockford: Hmm, maybe. But you don't practice them, you just talk about them. You've flipped from Ashram to watertank and back! Are you any happier for it? Look around you. You see a lotta bliss out there?
Jane Patten: I don't think I've done so bad for being 32 years old.
Jim Rockford: You're 40. I've seen your driver's license.
Jane Patten: I was 40, but I'm making positive affirmations! I'm 32... I'm youthing myself.
Jim Rockford: You're 40.
Jane Patten: But I don't want to get old...
Jim Rockford: Well neither do I.
Jane Patten: But you see we don't have to. Not if...
Jim Rockford: There's nothing you can do about it. That's the way it is. I'm sorry to be the bearer of the bad news. There's no easy answer, you know. No quickie nirvana. You don't like it, tough, join the club!

No comments: