Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Some Photos from the Last Day of February

I've long said that you need to view old people and little kids in exactly the same way: "Give them projects or they'll tire you out!" Well, though I'll never consider my mom "old", the fact is that with her we did a LOT of stuff since leaving Vancouver on Feb. 6th. And now that both she and my friend, Chris, are gone, my mind & body have collapsed in unison. I was sooooooooooo exhausted today. But I did take a walk, to my [usual] Brickell Key, but today I also ventured downtown. Here are some images from my journey:

This is a Blue Heron that may be the same one I've seen on Brickell Key before.

This is the First Presbyterian Church of Miami. Inside, it isn't that ornate but I do like exterior shapes & colours.

This reminded me of a scene from CSI Miami. This draw bridge, on US-1, opened up to let a yacht get out to the ocean.

Here's a shot looking back south, showing the financial district in the background.

This fascinating statue sits on this bridge. I have yet to learn of its significance. The ornately decorated column reminded me of totem poles from the Pacific Northwest.

I'm generally not too impressed with downtown Miami. It's mostly quite seedy, a reminder of more prosperity in times past. I'm guessing that Miami faced the same fate as many American cities: The wealthier residents flocked to the suburbs. Many new buildings are now being built downtown but it'll take years for any positive changes to occur.

This is the rectory of a magnificent Catholic church downtown. I plan to go back and take some photos of the elegant interior.

No comments: