Saturday, September 03, 2005

Vancouver Island Wedding - Part 1

I woke up this morning at 6am, a little stunned but no worse for wear. Meant to depart by 7am but got away at 7:22. Traffic was light and so I made it out the Tsawwassen ferry terminal in no time. As I approached the last few kilometres the number of cars grew. It was obvious that other people had the same idea to get an early start on the long weekend. I paid for my ticket around 7:50am. My car turned out to be the first one in my line (of about 100 vehicles) but there were many more lines ahead of me. So making the 9 o'clock ferry, like I had hoped, was possible but unlikely.

Cars started boarding around 8:30. Many cars went past before even the line beside mine started moving. To my great surprise, the boarding fellow waved me on. I looked in my rearview mirror but no cars were following me. I yelled out to his associate, "You just made my weekend. Thank you!" I pulled up the steep ramp and was carefully guided into a tight space equidistant behind two cars, one from Arizona and one from B.C. I was elated! Two more cars were eventually let on behind me. So though I lost my "Supreme Winner" gold medal status, it was still a nice omen.

I'm typing this on the ferry, just midway through the trip. The ferry is obviously packed but I was able to find a computer desk. There is no wireless connection here so it'll get posted the next time I can check my e-mail.

1 comment:

dgnyhk said...

The joy of being one of those special cars allocated the status of individual loading onto the ferry is one I expect most people just can't appreciate. Even if you aren't the last last, it's still valet parking of a sort. Well done!